Sunday, October 06, 2013

Peg + Cat premiers on PBS Monday morning! Barbès Thursday!

Greetings!  I'm very happy to say that after well over a year's work, Peg + Cat the children's educational cartoon where I've been serving as musical director and as a composer, will be premiering on PBS tomorrow Monday, October 7th.  If you have a little munchkin preschooler of your own, you may want to check this out.  In New York, it'll air 9am. (Other parts of the country, check yer local PBS listings.)   Monday they'll show two episodes back to back, and then it'll be on at 9am every weekday morning after that.  The show is a lot of fun and teaches math concepts to preschoolers.  There is also a Peg + Cat app with games available (that I worked a lot on) for the iPad and for Android tablets  (Kindle Fire too).  You can also see the first episode or buy the upcoming season on iTunes.

Peg is an upbeat (and perhaps a wee bit hyperactive) little girl that solves problems using numbers and math* along with her laid back, inspiration giving (and easily distracted) cat.  Peg plays the ukulele, and there is a lot of music in this show.  There is so much ukulele and trombone in this show, I'm surprised it got through the network censors.  I was even able to put a good bit of my favorite 8 bit Commodore 64 generated sounds in there, especially when they go to outer space. (Which, thankfully for me, is often.)  The show was created by my uber-talented  friends Jen Oxley and Billy Aronson.  Needless to say, I'm happy and proud of the show, and to be a part of it.

In other news, on Thursday, I'll be playing soprano ukulele and trombone with Daria Grace and 
The Prewar Ponies at our monthly residency at Barbes in Park Slope.  Fun shall be had as we daintily tromp through some lesser known gems of the 20's and 30's.  Hope to see you there!

All the info for the above mentioned show, as well as a look into the rest of the month is listed at the "gig schedule" link to the right...

Take care,


w

21 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am so excited for this show, as a fellow ukulele player and having 3 small kiddos of my own this I cant wait! Im already working on playing the theme song.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Tielbirdy said...

Can you please post the uke chords? Our 5 year old and my husband play, and this would be awesome for them to play together. The entire family loves the show!

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Joe Schonbok said...

Second the call for chords - my 4.5 year old is really digging Peg + Cat and I'd love for us to play along with the theme!

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ditto on the uke chords. We rock out like fat, blue hula cats at home.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Jay Savage said...

At the risk of piling on, I'm also dying to get the uke chords for the theme so my daughter and I can rock out to her new favorite theme on our ukes.

 
At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This show is fantastic. Great music. Nice work. I especially enjoyed the way music was used to illustrate patterns : "short short short long ". My kids and I sing the songs and dance to the music all while learning math concepts. And I too would love to regale the kids by playing along with the theme. Please do post the chords.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Kaeley said...

One more call for the uke chords. My 5-year-old son keeps asking me to play it for him!!

 
At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've also been searching for the ukelele chords to play with my son.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger kw said...

It's in the key of F folks!
F C F
Prob - lem Solved!
F C F
The prob - lem is Solved!
C7 F
We solved the problem
F C F
Prob - lem Solved!

:) My two year old and I always anticipate Peg busting out her uke. Such a fun show!

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger J. Walter Hawkes said...


For the hard core, this is exactly how I played it:

F C7 F
Prob - lem Solved!

F C7 F
The prob - lem is Solved!

Ami7 D+7 Gmin7 C7
We solved the problem

G7 C7 F
Prob - lem Solved!

From a theoretical standpoint, the Gmin7 is actually a Gmin9, as the 9th is in the melody, however, you can (and I did) get away with your garden variety Gmin7 chord. The jazz police won't blink an eye. If you really wanted to get fancy, you could play a Bbmaj7 there instead, and that'd get you the Gmin9 sound. Tell your bass player to play the G.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Finally a quality children show! You Ammmmmmmazing cat! Thank you!

 
At 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto on the THEME song! Any chance of posting that? Love the show.

 
At 1:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your good work. I now know how to tune a Ukulele - very different.

God bless you from Texas...

 
At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Danielle in Canada said...

Please make a YouTube video showing the world how to play the theme song!!!!!!

 
At 7:48 PM, Anonymous Danielle in Canada said...

Please make a YouTube video showing the world how to play the theme song!!!!!

 
At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter and I would love to see the chords for the theme song posted. Granted, I play guitar, but still...just being able to fake it would be awesome. She loves the show, and the music especially! :)

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger kw said...

Welllllll, I dont know the official chords or anything, but I've figured out something that sounds close! Finally figured out to put a capo on the 3rd fret...and then it's just a pretty basic C F C. C G C sort of thing. Someone please speak up if they've got anything more specific than that :)

 
At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, my daughter and I love the show. Thank you for contributing your talents to such a great project. She is 3 years old and we dance to the theme song every time it comes on, lol. Her friends and their parents love the show, too.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Liz said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Liz said...

Hi - I am dying for the Official Theme Song (Opening Song) Uke tabs! Please please please J. Walter Hawkes - Can you post how you played the intro song to Peg + Cat? I've been trying to figure them out on my own and they sound okay but not quite it. I would like to rock out to that song - it is awesome. My 6 year old loves the show - she's a math fiend. The whole family wants to be able to rock out to the intro song live and in person ;) Theme Song Tabs please (not Problem Solved - though it is awesome also). THANK YOU!!!

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger J. Walter Hawkes said...

I finally posted the theme song:

https://youtu.be/e-NVDtVbwF8

 

Post a Comment

<< Home